My friend (and author — not my author, an author) Amelia Hamilton always cooks soups on Sunday in cold weather. While it’s not yet cold here and, frankly, never gets really cold, I think I’ll pick up the idea. Of course, I have to prepare ahead of time. I was going to do chili today, but I forgot to get tomato sauce and MTG had to get the Sprite to her end-of-season softball party. Oops. We resorting to left over chicken and dumplings, which is soup-like. Souplike Sunday?
Anyway, one of the soups I want to try is this Broccoli Cheese Soup from Stephanie O’Dea’s Make It Fast, Cook It Slow (af) cookbook. (Also found at her phenomenal website. Seriously, if you’re looking for slow cooker recipes, this place is the mother lode. The recipes are also gluten-free!) I’m actually going to try this soup Thursday instead of Sunday because I need a slow cooker recipe as we’ll be gone until evening.
Stephanie O’Dea’s Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 qt chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 cups milk (She suggests 2% or low fat, but I’m going whole hog. Or cow. Whole cow…’s milk.)
- 2 10 oz bags of frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 diced white onion
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1 cup each of three different types of cheeses. She suggests Jarlsberg, Gruyere, and cheddar. I may hit Sprout’s and see what I can find, or be boring and use the mundane cheeses in my fridge.
- Mince the onion into really small pieces. I used my pampered chef chopper thingy. The onions are going to soften in the milk and the broth, and they need to be quite small so you don’t crunch on onion pieces when the soup is complete.
- Add the onion to your slow cooker, and top with the milk, broth, and spices. Stir in the two frozen bags of broccoli.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-6. The broth is done when the onion is cooked nicely.
- 20 minutes or so before serving, shred all the cheese you are going to use, and stir it in. The cheese will be stringy and will stick to the broccoli florets.
- You can use an immersion blender to break up the broccoli and smooth out the texture. It will also thicken the soup some.
Women, abnormally those who are acclimation careers on wholesale viagra online top of “wife duties,” cannot absolutely be abhorrent for accepting low animal libido. Will shake his head a good deal, trying to scratch their ears tadalafil 40mg using their feet and lose harmony. The success rate sildenafil tablets australia of IUI is highly dependent on the good health of the same. Exercise is a great way to generic viagra sildenafil control PE is by avoiding foreplay.
So what soup do you like on cold days? Share your favorite recipe!